UPDATE: Please note, many patterns have been published since this first post about the messy bun beanie trend. Please look at the links below for dozens of more patterns – easy beginner patterns to the more challenging. Enjoy!
For more on this popular trend (and free knit patterns), see also:
- The Best Messy Bun Crochet Hat Patterns – The Definitive Ponytail Hat Collection!
- The Best Free Crochet Ponytail Hat Patterns (aka Messy Bun Beanies) – This Season’s Fave Gift!
- How To Crochet a Ponytail Hat (aka Messy Bun Beanie) – Video Tutorial by Donna Wolfe from Naztazia
- The Best Free Knit Ponytail Hat Patterns (aka Messy Bun Beanies) – a Popular Gift This Season!
- 9 Popular Ponytail Hats and Messy Bun Beanies – a Roundup of Paid & Free Patterns in Knit & Crochet
- The Best Ponytail Hat Patterns (aka Messy Bun Beanies) for Little Girls!
- Everyone’s Going Crazy for Knit and Crochet Ponytail Hats (aka the Messy Bun Beanie) – FREE Patterns
- Available in Knit & Crochet, It’s 2 Hats in 1: a Messy Bun Beanie That Doubles as a Pussy Hat Project …
I follow a group on Facebook called Crochet Addict. Recently a member posted a photo of a ponytail hat (a winter hat with a hole for your ponytail to slip through, nature’s pom pom!) and things went wild! People LOVE this hat and are inspired to make them right away. Join the group, see for yourself!
I looked around Ravelry to see what was available in terms of free knit and crochet patterns and I found two:
p.s. this is the one that started it all (not free)!
The yarn and colorway are Plymouth Gina #20: http://bit.ly/2ijOotC